IIT Hyderabad will be offering MTech (Self-Sponsored) program from the academic year 2020-21 onwards. This change was affected to bring MTech(Course Work) program in-line with other MTech programs of the institute. Therefore, some of the information on this program may be out-dated. Please refer to EE MTech admissions page for further details.
- What are the admission/eligibility criteria?
This program is open to candidates with recognized B.Tech./B.E. degree in appropriate branch, with minimum first class. GATE qualification is not mandatory since the admission will be based on a scrutiny process comprising of written test and interview. Please note that the shortlisting criteria may be higher than the minimum eligibility criteria.
- Is MTech by Course Work widely acceptable?
This program is relatively new in the Indian academia. However, similar programs exist in many top-tier US universities, where students are awarded a Masters degree entirely on basis of course work. As an example, you may check the Master of Science(S. M.) degree requirements at Harvard University available here.
- Does the MTech(CW)differ from regular MTech in teaching and evaluation?
No. The MTech(CW) students attend the classes together with regular MTech (TA/RA) students, and occasionally senior BTech students. The evaluation method is uniform for all students who credit a particular course. The MTech(CW) applicants are rigourously evaluated during admission process to evalute their ability to cope with our curriculum.
Therefore, IIT Hyderabad makes no distinction between MTech (CW) students and regular MTech students as far as the MTech course work is concerned. They may or may not perform research during the program as explained below.
- What is the thesis option? How can I apply for it and when? How much does it cost?
Once a student is admitted to the MTech(CW) program, the degree can be awarded in one of the following modes:
- Mode 1: The student takes all the theory/lab courses in MTech curriculum of the stream he/she is admitted into in the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters (over 3 semesters). He/she will not be taking any research/thesis credits. A student admitted in July may graduate in the convocation held in next July-Aug period. The student will also be eligible to participate in the placement program.
- Mode 2: If a candidate obtains a CGPA greater than 7.0 after the 2nd semester, and has a strong motivation and inclination towards research, he/she may have an opportunity to pursue MTech Thesis, after successfully clearing a technical interview after 2nd semester of course work. The selection will purely be based on the student merit (as reflected in course work performance in the first two semesters) and inclination of the student towards research.
The student opting for Mode 2 will get a degree along with MTech(TA/RA) students. The degrees awarded are identical in this case (see below). There are no additional tuition and administrative fees to be paid while performing MTech thesis research. However, they still may have to pay hostel boarding and lodging charges common to all students. It should also be noted that they will not be paid any stipend during their research, which GATE qualified MTech(TA) students are eligible for.
- What is written on the degree certificate of a student graduating under this program?
There are two scenarios as outlined below:
Mode 1 (student has not opted for thesis option or he/she is not eligible for thesis option): Degree will read "MASTER OF TECHNOLOGY (By Course Work) ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING with specialization in COMMUNICATIONS & SIGNAL PROCESSING" for a student admitted in CSP
Mode 2 (thesis option): Degree will read "MASTER OF TECHNOLOGY ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING with specialization in COMMUNICATIONS & SIGNAL PROCESSING" for a student admitted in CSP
- How much will the MTech(CW) program in EE cost?
The program is nonsubsidized cost sharing, wherein student will pay tuition fees on per credit basis. The MTech(CW) program students are not entitled for any fellowship/tuition remission as GATE qualification will not be mandatory. For academic year 2018-2019 the cost breakup was as follows:
- Tuition fee of Rs. 25000 per credit * 36 credits = Rs. 9,00,000/-
- Administrative Fee (one-time) = Rs. 1,00,000/-
- Basic program cost (Tuition + Administrative) = Rs. 10,00,000/-
- Degree by Mode 2 (thesis option) No additional tuition and administrative charges
- Additional Charges (if applicable)
- Hostel boarding and lodging (subject to availability) - As per norms applicable to all IITH students
- Additional courses beyond 36 credits - No charge
- Repeating of course due to backlog - Rs. 25,000*No. of backlog credits
- Is there any financial support available for pursuing MTech(CW) degree?
Unfortunately threre are no scholarships available for MTech(CW) students since this is a self sponsored program. However, State Bank of India offers student loans to admitted candidates. For details, the selected students may visit the on-campus branch of SBI.
- How are the placements after MTech (CW) in EE?
- Placement statistics are currently available for 2017 batch
- Students placed in companies such as Intel, Toyota (TRIAD), Redpine Signals, Xilinx, TCS R&D, Atkins and GE
- 72% of students are placed in industry and 27% of students preferred to pursue research/higher studies
- Median salary (CTC) offered to MTech (CW) 2017 batch in EE department – 16.35 Lakhs per annum
- Placement statistics for all EE Programs are available here
- How was the student response to the MTech(CW) program in EE Department? The testimonials from a few of our students are given below:
Mr. Sai Krishna - MTech(CW) - Communication and Signal Processing - 2017 batch
The course curriculum is very well designed. Previously coding used to be a herculean task for me, but after crediting some courses like Advanced DSP, Deep Learning, etc my coding skills were improved.
Ms. Lalitha - MTech(CW) - Microelectronics and VLSI - 2017 batch
This program gave us an oppurtunity to prove ourselves. Also, we got wonderful placement oppurtunities. Teaching is excellent and professors guided us very well and were very supportive. Assignments were given in such a way that we think of our box and were very practical. I would definitely recommend this course.
Mr. Anirudh - MTech(CW) - Power Electronics and Power Systems - 2017 batch
All course MTech provided a platform to learn new things and thanks to guidance and efforts of our professors. The teaching here provides an exposure to practicality and reserach work. Professors are very supportive and approachable. Thus this course provides a good insight which will be very useful in overall learning.
Mr. Karthik - MTech(CW) - Microelectronics and VLSI - 2017 batch
All course MTech provided us a platform to grow professionally and personally. I learned a lot of new things, thanks to the guidance and efforts of our professors. The course structure and teaching methodology is as per industrial requirement and the also gave us a lot of exposure into research work. The professors are very approachable and the students can interact with them on any matter. In a nutshell, the course provides the students what they need to be successful either in industry or in research
Ms. Akhila - MTech(CW) - Power Electronics and Power Systems - 2017 batch
It is a good oppurtunity to those who are passionate about higher education. Academically, course structure is designed such, we get a complete idea of the subject through teaching and assignments.
Ms. Srujana - MTech(CW) - Power Electronics and Power Systems - 2017 batch
This is a great oppurtunity for the students who aspire for masters. Faculty are very supportive with their professional and technical suggestions.